This is the time of year that our Youth Ministry celebrates the month of February as "The Love Month"! We talk about the issues of Love, Purity and Sex from the world's point of view and showing the Truth that God's Word gives us to walk in Love....God's Way!
As we discuss the topic of sexual identity, we are confronted with friends, relatives and others that they have chosen the homosexual and lesbian way of life. Though homosexual and lesbian tendencies have been accepted by our culture, it is condemed throughout the Bible. Both Old Testament and New Testament explains that homosexuals and lesbians practice a lifestyle that is a perversion of God's intentions for them. (Leviticus 18:22; 20:13; Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9-11; 1 Timothy 1:10)
God's Word tells us that those that continue to practice that type of lifestyle will not inherit the Kingdom of God, but will suffer God's judgment on them...there will be severe consequences of living in sin. (1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Galatians 5:19-21; Colossians 3:5-6; 2 Peter 2:1--3:13) So, what do we do when we find ourselves in this type of lifestyle? Know that God is a forgiving God! As with all sin, we ask God to forgive us and then we turn away from the sin. Sin cleansing is available for those who turn to Jesus! (Acts 2:38; Romans 3:21-26). In all that we do, we are to live holy, godly lives just like God tells us in His Word. (2 Peter 3:11)
But, can't I do what I want and God will still love me as I am? God's Love is Unconditional. He loves you no matter what you do...but, He cannot allow sin in your life. In the Bible, Paul answers this by saying, not all things are helpful; true Christians must lead disciplined lives. (1 Corinthians 10:23; Galatians 5:13) God created you for His holy enjoyment...with destiny and great purpose and your body is not to be used and abused for any reason... sexual immorality does not glorify God.
The Word of God talks about how fear can be used by Satan to tie us to something negative in our lives. (Job 3:24) That is why it is so crucial to break this fear focus. Those feelings and temptations do not have to seal your future destiny...only your Choices will do that!
Human sexuality is like a balance scale. That balance scale is affected by your natural temperament. All sorts of life experiences "possitive and negative" also help to lean that scale further in one direction or another. That is why certain factors in your upbringing / painful rejections can make this whole issue worse. Christ gives you the ultimate power to determine the outcome of those circumstances. Single parent families can unfortunately be affected by this.
We live in an over-sexed world with constant images in TV, in the newspapers, on the internet and even music that we listen to. The world is glorifying same sex relationships and fantasy-driven temptation is at an all time high. It is so easy to be confused and deceived by them.
Have you ever been taken advantage of by someone in your life? The mind games can be especially huge. They are only mental games energized by Satan to try to throw you off track. Whatever happened to you is not your fault. Some painful memories and baggage may remain but Christ want to be bigger than all that junk in your life! You alone decide if you are a victim or a Victor!
Here are some websites that may help you:
If you would like to listen to our Audio Podcasts on this teaching, click on the link below:
A few suggestions to help you deal with these challenges:
- The message shared is a Love Note from God.
- Read and Memorize Scripture to fight against Satan.
- Don't watch or listen to media with immoral suggestions. (1 John 4:4) Whatever you focus on you will fuel it! (Proverbs 23:7)...put your emotional and mental focus on the possitive, Christ honored things in life.
- If same-sex relationships become attractive to you, have the self discipline to stay away from that person.
- Deal honestly with emotional dependency. (Emotional Dependency- when another person becomes too important to your own personal sense of happiness and fulfillment). (The effects of it: you prefer to spend time alone with this person and you get very frustrated when you can't; you lose interest in most other friendships; you display emotional and/or physical affection for another person that is not normal in friendship; you become defensive and/or secretive when anyone says you are spending to much time together; you become overly concerned with the other persons problems, interests or life in general)
- Breaking up or off with an unhealthy relationship will be deeply painful. Prepare for a season of grief, depression and/or manipulation. Don't allow yourself to go in and out of the relationship when you become emotionally hungry. Have enough integrity not to give in.
- Get involved in a Christ-centered church. Many of your emotional, friendship and spiritual needs will be met while enjoying the fun and fulfillment of great Christian friends. Jesus so deeply loves and believes in you and wants to free you from your secrets. He came to put light on your situation and show you the truth...He sets the captive free!